OFF/HW/BOC: Sleep & HW & Astronomy, various

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Wed Jan 13 17:00:41 EST 1999

Has anyone checked out the UK fanzine 'Bad Acid'?  I was sent a promo copy
since the last issue had an interview with ST37 (and if anyone knows the
editor, you can tell him I WILL send that F/i CD, I promise!), and it does
a pretty good job of covering the intersection between "stoner" and "space"
rock (a Hawkwind article in the first issue, Farflung interviews in both 1
& 2, lots of coverage of the post-Mike Gunn psychedelic bands in Texas, who
are, of course, VERY Black Sabbath-influenced).  I gotta admit I'm not real
big on stuff like Kyuss or Fu Manchu (especially since those BASTARDS sold
out their last SF show, preventing me from seeing the Hellacopters open,
who were the only band on the bill I gave a sh!t about!), but I still think
that all this spacerock/psych/stoner-metal crossover potential is a very
good thing.

Anyway, I'd recommend checking out the 'zine if you're in the UK.  They're
also supposed to put out a Farflung CD sometime soon ...

On Wed, 13 Jan 1999 10:37:47 +0000, Carl Edlund Anderson
<cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK> wrote:
>     There are plenty of "stoner" (awful term) bands I think are
>damn good.  Having heard "Holy Mountain" ... I've heard worse, but
>I don't think it deserves its rep at all!

Who's your faves? (and for the record, my top Sleep release is the 'Volume
4' fake live 7")

>     Still, the *trend* for "stoner" bands has done some definite
>good.  I've convinced a few people from my uni's rock society
>to check out Hawkwind on the strength of their proto-stoner
>cred.  _Space Ritual_ and _Doremi_ enjoy a fair bit of respect
>now, as does _1999 party_!  HW should clearly pack in the ambient
>techno effort and reclaim the "kings of the low-end starfield"crown.

The guitarist for "stoner" rockers Noothgrush (with whom Primordial
Underming, the space/psych band I'm in share a rehearsal space) is a pretty
mean space-rock analog synth (ARP Odyssey, maxi-Korg, etc.) player, too.
And although I like most of Hawkwind's ambient/techno stuff a lot, I'd
still rather see 'em Kick Out The Jams!

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com