HW: In Your Area

Wed Jan 27 11:25:10 EST 1999

On Wed, 27 Jan 1999, Alun Hughes wrote:

> We'd all like Brock to write some good new songs. I would
> doubt that that's just a matter of his being arsed to do it. The
> problem seems to be spreading the available inspiration over
> the volume of product that appears necessary to sustain the
> band. The result is albums that have enough good tracks
> to fill an EP, with their impact diluted by perfunctory synth
> efforts for which "slight" would be the most generous word I
> could find (the commendable "Elfin" aside). Personally, I'd
> prefer it if they waited until they had enough decent material
> for a proper album; I think the need for product can be (and
> often has been) filled by live material, remixes, even some
> good old-fashioned improvisation ....

        Agree. If this is as lack-lustre an effort as people seem to be
saying, then I think we might well have been happier with that 'Live '76'
album that's been sitting about ready to come out since October (according
to the Mission Control page)... Yours,
                                        Jon
--
 |         Jon Jarrett, Pembroke College, Cambridge                      |