BOC: New England and Compilation

John A. Swartz jswartz at MITRE.ORG
Wed Jul 7 09:39:58 EDT 1999

> Anyone have any info on the Aug 25th show in Weir's Beach at the Buzzard's
> Nest?

No, other than it *might* not happen.  Eric posted last week on AOL that
the Uncasville, CT show (at Mohegan Sun - either the day before or the
day after the Weir's Beach show) was likely to be moved to November --
and if it did, there was a chance the Weir's Beach show might be
affected.  Stay tuned...

Referring to how many CDs we all have with "The Big 3"...

> Only 5?  Slackers!

Well, that way I could include even the casual fans...  ;-)

> Wonder if  this shameless glomming on is an indication that HF did
> well enough for sony to want one more pull on the teat?

Probably.  Hey, that's a pretty good slogan for Sony:

"SONY:  Pulling on the BOC teat for over 10 years..."

> I've read
> that BOC has the green light for another CMC disc.

Hopefully we'll hear some more rumblings about this soon... I was
hearing that this disc would come out sometime in 2000, so as that year
approaches, we'll at least have to hear if it's being pushed back or
not.  ;-)

> 'Course it
> costs sony almost nothing to toss out another comp. disc.
> Remastered?  Keep dreaming!  Sony wants to spend about twenty cents
> on the whole thing...

I would suspect that as well.  Bolle seems to think that it will be
remastered, although I don't recall hearing anyone else say that the
tracks would be.  Bolle is still hoping that someday the albums will all
be remastered and seems pretty optimistic for someone who understands
the business reasonably well.

Personally, I'd be a bit surprised if Sony bends over backwards for this
release.  On the other hand, I just don't get how all of these
miscellaneous BOC compilations are really that profitable for them.
*Workshop of the Telescopes* is an exception as it is a reasonably
complete package (sure, there are notable exceptions, but it still is
quite representative) and presumably had a bit of a push behind it (Sony
adding a few "previously unavailable on CD" tracks, as well as space on
their website for the release).  But all of Sony's other compilations -
such as "Revisited", "On Flame with Rock and Roll", "Don't Fear the
Reaper", and especially the horribly packaged "Super Hits" (my 2-year
old could have drawn a cooler cover) offer very little to the casual
listener over other BOC offerings.  And really, how many copies are they
going to sell to the die-hard collectors like me?

If this CD is to be any different, I would think that Sony would at
least have to advertise a little for it -- otherwise, it will look no
different to the casual listener passing the BOC section in the CD racks...

John

John A. Swartz - The MITRE Corporation, Bedford MA - jswartz at mitre.org

"Fear is the path to the Dark Side.
Fear leads to Anger - Anger leads to Hate - HATE leads to SUFFERING."
  -- Yoda (Star Wars: Episode 1 - The Phantom Menace)