OFF: Way off, Richard Meltzer

Brevard, Adrian R adrian.brevard at EDS.COM
Fri Jul 9 10:52:52 EDT 1999

>Reading through his article here reminded me of trying to read through
his book "The Aesthetics of Rock" -- I just DON'T GET IT.  I'm not
saying that it is therefore bad, but it just goes against a lot of my
way of thinking about music in general.  He seems to place way more
"significance" to so many aspects to music than I do - for me, it's just
rock and roll - it sounds good and makes me feel good - end of story.

Rock and roll is simple, it either Rox or it Sux.  Do we really need to make
it more than that?  Successful bands like Kiss will tell you no.

>Again, the above isn't meant to bash Meltzer.  Some of you probably
"get" his stuff and enjoy it.  To me, it just leaves me scratching my
head trying to figure out exactly what the hell I missed back there in
the 60s in my pre-school years...

Well I was just hitting puberty back then but would surmise you missed a
golden opportunity to be as weird and delusional as Mr. Meltzer.  In
retrospect you are far better off.  Meltzer may stifll be suffering 60's
backlash.

>I think maybe it's just a fundamental difference of opinion of what rock
music is to each of us.  To me, it's a form of sonic enjoyment to me -
gets my blood pumping, head banging, etc.  On the otherhand, here's a
quote from Meltzer on his definition of rock:

>"Although what, precisely, was/is rocka rocka roll--or punk--or any kind
of youth twitch--supposed to entail "if not that"? If not the high risk
of behaving like a FLYING FUCKING ASSHOLE?"

>Dunno - maybe since he mentioned it as a "youth twitch", maybe I'm just
getting to old...

Nope you're getting better.  Seriously, Meltzer has his theories and beliefs
and we have ours.  If you place too much significance on any one thing you
are likely to stop enjoying it...until or unless it meets your narrow
definitions of what is good or bad.  Do you play (for the sake of argument
only) Y&T's Black Tiger album to dissect the chords/lyrics/spiritual meaning
or just to air guitar?  Count me with the latter group.  I could care less
what the band was thinking when they wrote/recorded...it makes me want to
lip synch.

>By the way, thought I would cut-n-paste a bit from that article for
those who didn't read it all -- apparently Meltzer ain't on good terms
with Sandy Pearlman:

OK here is the meat of what I found so interesting in your post (loved the
whole thing BTW but this makes me salivate).

Is it my imagination or are the fringe people form BOC's history immature?
Pearlman, Meltzer these guys seem to bash the band, each other...the whole
world relentlessly.  Are they seeking attention, adulation...what?  Maybe
there were some real conflicts within the group at any given time, however
it seems that only those guys who laced them up and hit the stage have any
decency/common sense.  For the band the focus was the music...didn't matter
if it was painful getting there or if the final product was any good.  They
did a hell of a job keeping a good face to the public.

I cannot think of any band that has not had its share of turmoil...its how
you handle the adversity.  I admire each and every one one of the original
members of this group, but none as much as Al.  He's mostly taken the high
road on what went on.  Never said he was blameless...but more importantly
never used this particular forum to air dirty laundry.  Sure there were some
times when a little somthin' somethin' would come out...generally he kept it
a private business/personal matter.  I don't recall Eric, Buck or Alan ever
doing this on AOL either.

You look at Meltzer or Pearlman and these guys are eager to use any forum to
do their thing.  A real pity for two pitiful small minded individuals.

I dunno (I do know I'm rambling) perhaps we should all take a step back and
look at the guys who played simply as the guys who played and brought us
untold enjoyment for having done so.  Maybe look at all bands/muscians this
way.  What are your choices?  Take it for what it is or to "Go Behind the
Music" and venture into other aspects that are really none of our business
anyway?  For fear of becomming a Meltzer I think I'm just gonna kick back
and froog.

Couple of random tidbits -

I'm looking on the sunny side of the possible Sony release.  If they should
re-master this package it is worth getting, irregardless of what finally
makes the cut.  Obviously Sony will only do this to make a profit but it is
a backhand compliment to each and everyone of us.  They (Sony) may have
finally acknowledged that their are a sufficient number of BOC fans out
there that will stick with this band thru thick and thin.  WE ARE NOT GOING
ANYWHERE!!!! Get off your duffs people - if it is duplicative but remastered
then buy it.  If its another Sony "...lay the stuff out and see how many
suckers we catch this time"... type deal then give them your middle fingers
pointing vertically and horizontally ("Ya you geeks you and the horse you
rode in on")

Teen Archer - Wow I'm so 360...somebody says it was the weakest song on T&M
and I always thought it the strongest.  Do hope this one makes the grade on
the new Sony package.

Live stuff - There are tons of good live BOC I cannot possibly rank them.  I
do flip flop a lot tho except Subhuman from F/K still gives me goosebumps
after all these years.  I also get cised for the SEE version of DFtR.
Please oh please CMC let the next BOC release be a live one...rent them a
hall...make the tix prices affordable and do two-three sets.
Pick/choose/clean it up a little but try to maintain the edge that is BOC
right in front of the stage.

L8er
Ghost in the Ruins

NP Y&T - Live on the Friday Rock Show

Black Tiger...ready to strike...looking for a victim in the heat of the
night...Black Tiger...