OFF: Way off, Richard Meltzer

Ted Jackson jr. s2h2 tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Fri Jul 9 11:31:22 EDT 1999

> From:          "Brevard, Adrian R" <adrian.brevard at EDS.COM>
>
> Is it my imagination or are the fringe people form BOC's history immature?

I'm not sure I'd describe SP and RM as fringe dwellers.  I think they
each had a huge impact [for ill or good--you decide] on BOC, esp. in
the early days.  Compare the sainted first 3 albums to those that
followed.  Perhaps 'cause I'm an old fuck who was there since the
beginning, but to me the first 3 albums--those displaying the
greatest  SP/RM influence--are the best.  Now maybe the band was just
writing their best stuff back then as well.  How many times do we see
bands whose first few albums represent their greatest accomplishment,
only to overshadow subsequent work?  So, is the greatness of the
first 3 due to RM/SP's participation, or simply the band was at a
creative peak?  We need to call upon Al to offer an opinion here...

> Pearlman, Meltzer these guys seem to bash the band, each other...the whole
> world relentlessly.  Are they seeking attention, adulation...what?

AB, I think they are bitter because they realize the greatness that
they were associated with, and they also realize that they couldn't
sustain it, and that the band, for whatever reasons, decided to do
things on their own.  They know they were part of a truly great band,
but that, through their own failings, allowed it to slip through
their fingers.  At one point, they were at the top of the heavy music
heap, now:  where are they now!  Again, Al's insight would tell us
volumes...

> I cannot think of any band that has not had its share of turmoil...its how
> you handle the adversity.  I admire each and every one one of the original
> members of this group, but none as much as Al.  He's mostly taken the high
> road on what went on.  Never said he was blameless...but more importantly
> never used this particular forum to air dirty laundry.  Sure there were some
> times when a little somthin' somethin' would come out...generally he kept it
> a private business/personal matter.  I don't recall Eric, Buck or Alan ever
> doing this on AOL either.

Well, mighty big of 'em considering the abortion that accompanied
Imaginos, eh?  But I hear ya.  Ever read any interviews with Ed Van
Halen regarding Dave or Sammy?  He relentlessly pounds them, whereas
whenever they're interviewed, they keep things pretty clean.  Makes
it hard to side with EVH!

> You look at Meltzer or Pearlman and these guys are eager to use any forum to
> do their thing.  A real pity for two pitiful small minded individuals.

Well, it's the only forum they have left.  They've fucked themselves
as far as the music biz goes.  Now all they can do is rant in print!

> Couple of random tidbits -
>
> I'm looking on the sunny side of the possible Sony release.  If they should
> re-master this package it is worth getting, irregardless of what finally
> makes the cut.

Agreed.  I'll buy a remastered comp. pretty much regardless of what's
on it...But only if it's remastered...

> Teen Archer - Wow I'm so 360...somebody says it was the weakest song on T&M
> and I always thought it the strongest.  Do hope this one makes the grade on
> the new Sony package.

You never heard it from me!  TA's a classic!

> Live stuff - There are tons of good live BOC I cannot possibly rank them.  I
> do flip flop a lot tho except Subhuman from F/K still gives me goosebumps
> after all these years.  I also get cised for the SEE version of DFtR.
> Please oh please CMC let the next BOC release be a live one...rent them a
> hall...make the tix prices affordable and do two-three sets.
> Pick/choose/clean it up a little but try to maintain the edge that is BOC
> right in front of the stage.

How right you are!  The new live material is SO great.  Telepaths,
BD's incredible new intro to DFtR, Lips--there's so much good stuff!

theo