BOC: Wings of Mercury / Tidbits

Ted Jackson jr. s2h2 tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Mon Jul 12 13:16:07 EDT 1999

> From:          "Brevard, Adrian R" <adrian.brevard at EDS.COM>

> Foggy but...BOC doing WoM is a cover tune right?  If they perform it
> publicly they must pay someone, true?  Shame, I heard this from one of those
> live boots and its a fabulous tune that sounds good on them.

I'm not completely sure about this, but if they're playing the song
in a bar, then the bar pays ASCAP and/or BMI a monthly fee for the
right to have copyrighted material performed in their joint, whether
it's a band playing cover tunes, or simply the jukebox blasting.  It
wouldn't matter to the band at all...

> I know its a sad situation (depends on your perspective I guess) but Al and
> Joe have moved on nicely...Buck, Alan and Eric have moved on... Why can't
> these guys?  Who's next to air some historical dirty laundry or current
> resentment for things past, Les Braunstein (sp?)

But all the BOC members and ex-members can still get up on stage and
let the music do the proverbial talkin,' wheras SP and RM...well they
never were rock stars, and never will be.  Guess all that's left to
'em is sour grapes...

theo