HW: NIK: Nik's flute playing

Brian Halligan bthalligan at EARTHLINK.NET
Wed Jul 28 10:01:23 EDT 1999

Thomas Guy wrote:
>I was just playing Jethro Tull's "Bursting Out - Live",  and there is an
>instumental flute piece,(sorry - I can't recall the Tull track title) which
>is identical to Nik's "King" track, from his "Space Ritual" CD a few years
>back.
>
>Then of course, I realised that "Serenade",  also from Space Ritual, is the
>same song as "Serenade to a Cuckoo", from Tull's first LP, "This Was".
>Obviously, the flute is the main point in both theses songs.  I am rather a
>fan of Tull, but I also love Nik's flute playing too. I suspect that Nik may
>be a Tull admirer too.

According to "This Was" liner notes:
Serenade to a Cookoo is this Roland Kirk one, which was the first thing Ian
learned to play on flute (so he says)-- it's probably all right.

I don't have "Bursting Out - Live," so I couldn't say about the other tune.
 I'd have to guess it's a cover too.  That's not to say Nik didn't get the
tunes from the Tull versions instead of the originals....

Brian