New to the list

Keith Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Thu Jun 24 15:39:15 EDT 1999

Don said...

>Wow!
>
>Sounds like a lot of Hawkwind fans out there.

Well, apparently, still not enough to become widely known in the states.
Perhaps in another 30 years.  :)

>I guess I'll have to give them a listen myself.  Anybody recommend a good
>starting album?

Yeah, ok, before everyone says 'Chronicle of the Black Sword' or 'Live
Chronicles' (which will soon happen, as apparently these were the albums
considered to be the best place to start for BöC fans-a consensus that I was
not part of), I'll go ahead and argue that the HW experience should always
start at the key place...i.e., 1973-75, including Space Ritual, Hall of the
Mountain Grill, and/or Warrior on the Edge of Time.  Any of the three will do.

Of course, I heard 'Quark, Strangeness, and Charm' first, but then bought SR
not too much later.  And oh yeah Don, the bassist on the '73-'75 albums was
some guy named Lemmy Kilmister, who you might have heard of.

>So what about the BOC fans?  Any of you guys out there?  Come on,
>tell me your favorite albums, and songs.

Well, I'm here mainly because of Hawkwind, but as most others, like both
bands. And Spectres is my favourite also.  Nice to see someone with the same
taste. :)

>Who has seen them the most in concert around here?

Not me certainly, but I've seen them 6 or 7 times (Hawkwind 16 times).  The
first being 1983 (?) in State College, PA on the TRBN tour w/ Godzilla & the
mirrored guitars/laser bit. Duke Jupiter was the opener.  Whatever happened
to them?  I didn't think they were very good, but then I have zero
recollection of their music now.

>Most of the people around here haven't even heard of BOC.

Likely you won't find too many folks knowledgable of Hawkwind then.  :(

Keith H. (FAA)

P.S.  Oh, by the way, T&M is Tyranny & Mutation.