BOC-L Digest - 4 Mar 1999 to 5 Mar 1999

Brad M. Lauchnor blauchno at DEQ.STATE.UT.US
Fri Mar 5 11:17:50 EST 1999

Date:    Thu, 4 Mar 1999 22:19:51 +0000
From:    Carl Edlund Anderson <cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK>
Subject: OFF: We be jammin'
     On this theme ...
     I was listening to some early Led Zep recordings the other
day, and thinking they presented a marvelous combination of
structure and improv.  They had a wide familiarity with
basic patterns and song structures from blues and pop pieces,
and give the impression, at least, of having been able to
careen precariously from one riff/pattern/song to another
and more or less be able to follow one another.  They could
zip from an interpretation of one of their compositions (and
these certainly could evolve over time), through references
to and snippets of other songs, into pretty much free-form
jamming (isn't said that all the riffs on their second album
came out of live jamming on "Dazed and Confused"?), and then
back out to the song again.
     Not bad.  They were helped in having a vocalist with,
apparently, no fear--willing to sing the words of one song
to the tune of a completely different one, and apparently
just belt out whatever came to mind when necessary.  And
do it convincingly.  Rare things in a vocalist!

     Enough rambling for the moment! :)

Cheers,
Carl
Good point about Zeppelin. One of my favorites is Plant venturing off with the band  at the Fillmore West show of 4/27/69 when Plant starts into the lyrics to "here we go 'round the mulberry bush." I would love to have seen the look on Bonham's or Page's face for that one :) However even Page/Plant's set-lists were fairly static on their last tour. But one thing about BOC or Page/Plant. I could watch either band play the same set-list every Friday night for months before I got tired of it. Just watching Buck play is worth the price of admission. And, while I love any variety in set-lists, I would just like to SEE BOC. It's been a few years since their last trip to Zion :) :). And right now I don't think there are too many clubs in Salt Lake looking to get BOC in for a show. And I would imagine a Brain Surgeons show is out too.... :(

Brad L.
blauchno at deq.state.ut.us