OFF: RE: Star Wars

Joseph Brooks Joseph.Brooks at GCCCD.NET
Wed May 12 17:21:34 EDT 1999

Thanks to all for the OFF stuff.. Me not being any sort of HW fan and with
the current lack of all things BOC, I haven't had much to say on this list
of late..

Starwars.. I saw it when it came out (I was 18) and was blown away by the
special effects.. The movie itself was fun, in a campy sort of way.. I
always thought of it as a western in space, bad guys in black hats and
all... Harmless adventure fun.. The following two got progressively worse in
all but the fx dept. with the final one being almost hilarious in its
hackneyed, cliche`-ridden story line.. "Luke, I am your father!".

Why couldn't they have just let ol' Darth be evil, even in the end.. He was
such an archtypical villian, it spoiled it for me when he turned out to be
just misguided...

I'll go see this new one, once the crowds die down.. I just hope against
hope that they got better writers.. It seems aimed at a pretty young
audience though so I don't feel very confident. It will probably be worth
going just for the "gee-wiz" factor.. Lucas can afford some hefty special
effects bills, I'd imagine.

JB