OFF: Anime, Tick, Ambush Bug, Spawn

Andrew A. Apold mordru at FLITE.NET
Wed May 26 12:52:14 EDT 1999

><<"When a nice clean brain tumbles to the dirty street to lie among the
>discarded wrappers and spat out gum wads of wickedness, you can't just pick
>it and wash it off with soap and water; you gotta think it clean from the
>inside out." - The Tick>>
>

>Ambush Bug?
>>Who is this Ambush Bug?  Sounds right up my alley.

Well, his origin goes like this:

The Secret Origin of Ambush Bug:
We thunk him up!

okay, well, there is another version, involving a wardrobe
sent from a doomed planet that got bitten by a giant cosmic
radioactive space spider....

He's one of those where he knows he's in a comic, and treats
it as a job (and often gets fired).  Among more amusing characters:

Villian the Villain.  Took his name to teach people the proper
way to spell "Villain".

Argh! Yle, evilest of socks.  Ambush bug left behind one item of
clothing from the wardrobe of Brum-El, a sock which achieved
sentience and vowed revenge.  He could animate other abandoned
socks to do his bidding.

Cheeks, the Toy Wonder.  A stuffed doll.  Was killed when Ambush
Bug left him next to a bomb with orders to defuse it.

Jonni DC - this DC mascot appears frequently as a continuity cop.

Darkseid - issue after issue, the last page featured a cliffhanger
confrontation with Darkside, promising the next issue to be
"When Titans Clash" (the most over-used title in comic-history)

In particular, if you like to see a universe skewered (far better
than any of the "Sergio Aragones destroys the (insert name)
Universe", and at least as good as the Fred Hembeck versions,
Ambush Bug's "History of the DC Universe" (Ambush Bug (1st series
issue 3)) was incredible.  All the characters DC tried to shove
under the rug, including Egg-Fu, Wonder Tot, The Green Team,
Sugar and Spice, the evil starfish army, Binky... and perhaps...
the greatest:

Ace, the Bathound.

Lessee if I can recall how this one goes:

Bruce Wayne discovers an abandoned dog.  Searching for his owner,
he puts a picture of himself with the dog in the local paper.  Later,
an emergency arises.  He changes into his Batman uniform, and with
Robin, leaps in the batmobile.  Before the door closes, the dog leaps
in with them.  There is no time to turn back.  However, Batman
realizes that the dog's picture is in the paper, and if anyone
sees Batman with the dog then people will (gasp!) draw the link
between Bruce Wayne and Batman.  So.... while speeding to the
crime scene....  they cut out a mask for the dog to conceal
his secret identity....

you had to be there....