off: OED non-USA offer and OED CD ROM in general

Allan T Grohe Jr iscladoc at IDIR.NET
Thu Nov 4 09:58:05 EST 1999

Hi all--

I've attached a Word file (oedinfo.doc) that details a special Rest of
World offer to buy the OED for what seems like a kick-ass price:  #175
(w/o VAT) or #205.63  (w/ VAT).  (I'm not sure exactly what VAT is, but
I assume its some sort of import/export tithe?)  The USA special offer
price is for the non-CD ROM version and costs $1000 or so.  (Details are
at http://www.oed.com/offers.htm).

After checking the web, I called the USA OED folks, then their orders # at
800 451 7556 and they said that they were going to be releasing a new CD
ROM version in the USA for $99 next month. (Until I heard that, I had been
planning to see if anyone in the UK would be willing to nab a copy for me,
but....).

So, my quesions are:

- has anyone used the OED CD ROM, read any good reviews on it, etc.?
- anyone know if there's a difference between the UK and USA versions of
  the CD ROM?

Thanks for any/all assistance!

Allan.

ObHW: My local stores haven't been able to order any new HW for awhile
      now.  I feel like I'm missing out on stuff.  Can anyone summarize
      what non-comp/boots have been released since IYA hit the streets
      (including IYA), with a quick what's good/not?

ATGj

Allan T. Grohe Jr.                      Visit the Dreaming City--
iscladoc at idir.net                    http://www.rpg.net/ehp/imrryr

>From somewhere within him all the longing he had known, all the sadness
and the grief and the loneliness, all his aspirations and dreams, his
times of intense happiness, his loves and his hatreds, his affections and
his dislikes, all were voices in the same music which issued from his
throat, as if his whole being had been concentrated into this single song.
It was a victory and a plea.  It was a celebration and an agony.  It was
nothing more nor less then the song of a single, lonely individual in an
uncertain world, the song of a troubled intellect and a generous heart.
And most of all, it was a song of love, of yearning idealism and
desperate sadness for the fate of the world.

                ---Michael Moorcock, "The Black Blade's Summoning"