off: OED non-USA offer and OED CD ROM in general

Thu Nov 4 10:36:01 EST 1999

At 08.58 -0600 99-11-04, Allan T Grohe Jr wrote:
>After checking the web, I called the USA OED folks, then their orders # at
>800 451 7556 and they said that they were going to be releasing a new CD
>ROM version in the USA for $99 next month.

Shit, that's a damn good price for the new OED CD-ROM. I've been seeing ads
for the UK deal coming to me for a while now, but can't afford GBP175. I'm
broke, but if I can strain the plastic, I'm not sure I can afford *not* to
buy the OED on CD for USD 99! (Gotta getta job, gotta getta job ...)

>- has anyone used the OED CD ROM, read any good reviews on it, etc.?

I used it plenty when I was doing the PhD, and as an eternal academic know
I will continue to use it if I have it. The OED isn't perfect, but it's the
best dictionary of Modern English that there is. Having it in machine
searchable format is very useful (and it saves a lot of shelf space ;)

>- anyone know if there's a difference between the UK and USA versions of
>  the CD ROM?

That I don't know for sure. I wouldn't *think* so, but the ways of OUP are
mysterious.

Cheers,
Carl

--