HW: Hawkwind at Strange Daze 98 MPEG audio

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Fri Nov 5 11:07:44 EST 1999

On Fri, 5 Nov 1999, M Holmes wrote:

=> Paul Mather writes:
=>
=> > This is a bit embarrassing.  I just noticed that someone (I don't know
=> > who, just the host) uploaded MPEG audio files of Hawkwind's Strange Daze
=> > '98 set to my anonymous FTP site sometime in late September!
=> >
=> > I think this is a transfer of an audience recording (44100 Hz stereo
=> > encoded with a 128 kbit/sec bitrate).  I took a quick skeg on Jim
=> > Lascko's site, and verified it is _Strange Daze *'97*_ he's selling, so
=> > I don't think this is an official and/or commercial release by anyone.
=>
=> Starfire Mountain Dreaming is the only track on the official release I
=> have. The rest are from other bands who appeared.

But that is from Strange Daze 97, right?  These MPEG Audio files are
(ostensibly) from Strange Daze *98*, so I'm guessing it's a different
version to that on the CD (unless the ultratelluric sounds of Hawkwind
managed to permeate back through time to find their way onto the SD97
recording;).  I've only listened to the MPEGs once so far, but I vaguely
recall some mention from the stage about "refused entry into the
country," which would appear to confirm this was from the 1998 customs
debacle (thanks to Uncle Sam).

Is the setlist the same as that of Strange Daze 98?

BTW, those downloading, remember to transfer in binary mode, and also
those with slow and/or unreliable connections might want to use an FTP
client that supports "reget" to resume broken transfers (e.g., NetBSD
ftp; ncftp for Unix, GetRight [http://www.getright.com/] for
M$-Windoze).

Cheers,

Paul.