HW: Re: HAWKWIND / BOC what's the point? space does not care

Bart Brugmans bart at BUNDERSBOS.DEMON.NL
Fri Nov 12 02:06:54 EST 1999

> well:
> i've been signed on for a month now, and i'm left wondering if my magic
> machine is working correctly. i've been virtually ignored (except by a close
> personal friend, a friend who forwarded me your list for months and helped me
> sign up); i've posted a few things that i feel deserve some response, or in
> some cases directly requested responses, and got zip. my latest
Well: I have had the same experience. When I first signed to the
group_over a year ago now_I had the feeling that what I posted, was
ignored. I still do not know why, but i had the feeling that's what
happened.
Somewhere along he line I got the "feeling" for the group, I strated
to understand the unwritten rules, the culture so to say. I still do
not know how to call it, people started responding, to at least some
of my mail. Sometimes, though, I still can have the feeling that some
mail needs responding, but it just doesn't happen.

> (Hawkwind-related) query was posted 2X before someone responded. probably out
> of pity. was i filtered out of most of the Hawkwinder's lists because most of
> the replies to my first few postings were BOC-related? if so, then what the
> hell am i doing here?
I am a hawkwinder, I do like BOC (a little), and I have filtered out
the BOC part of the list.

> you represent youselves as a group who are here to exchange ideas, opinions,
> and information. what it looks like to me is a clique of exclusionary
> elitists exchanging reminiscences and nit-picking over microscopic detail, to
Yes, this sometimes is true. I still ignore most of the posting about
who was playing where on what occasion and what song they were
playing and on wich cd, lp, tape or bootleg that is on. I just do not
care, like space.
But this behaviour can very much scare off newbies.

> the exclusion of outsiders who are wanting in. you'll only talk to others who
> know exactly what you're talking about. who can learn from that? neither you
> nor me.
> i'm a fan! i wanted to learn from you all! what i've learned is that i'm not s
> avvy enough for your club.
> what you've lost here is someone who's gotten into hawkwind in the last 5 yrs
You dicovered HW just 5 yrs after me :-)
I sometime get the idea that the people on the list were already
there when I was still in me dipers ;-)

> (through a good friend and member of the list, and through Motorhead fandom):
> a newcomer's perspective, some fresh, objective opinions; a metal fan's POV,
> a huge Lemmy supporter with an interest in the band's history, a collector
> looking to fill in some holes in a fast-growing collection--but here is not
For HW there is large hole, when you are trying o be a completist.

> the place for the eager novice. here is the place to exchange war/gig
> stories, drop names, and play hipper-than-thou.
> so i've had my say, at least to those who haven't filtered me.
> life goes on.
Yeah, life does go on, and so does this list. Stay on, do not give up
yet. It is a clear sing to the listers, and try to follow the
discussion, and ad your own flavour to it!

--BArt