HW: Re: HAWKWIND / BOC what's the point? space does not care

Dave Greenhalgh d.greenhalgh at VIRGIN.NET
Fri Nov 12 02:40:23 EST 1999

Bart Brugmans wrote:

> > well:
> > i've been signed on for a month now, and i'm left wondering if my magic
> > machine is working correctly. i've been virtually ignored (except by a close
> > personal friend, a friend who forwarded me your list for months and helped me
> > sign up); i've posted a few things that i feel deserve some response, or in
> > some cases directly requested responses, and got zip. my latest
> Well: I have had the same experience. When I first signed to the
> group_over a year ago now_I had the feeling that what I posted, was
> ignored. I still do not know why, but i had the feeling that's what
> happened.
> Somewhere along he line I got the "feeling" for the group, I strated
> to understand the unwritten rules, the culture so to say. I still do
> not know how to call it, people started responding, to at least some
> of my mail. Sometimes, though, I still can have the feeling that some
> mail needs responding, but it just doesn't happen.

Same here.  I don't know why some posts get responses and some don't.  Maybe what
interests me doesn't interest others on the list,  so these days I just read and
post very rarely.  Every list has its regulars, and often you get the feeling that
you're trespassing on their private chats.  I have to say that this list has proved
more welcoming than others to newbies.  There is a culture here, though I don't know
what it is, and it's definitely stronger on the HW side of the list. (I'm a
"Hawkwinder" but I take the BOC side as well, and the OFFs)

> > i'm a fan! i wanted to learn from you all! what i've learned is that i'm not s
> > avvy enough for your club.
> > what you've lost here is someone who's gotten into hawkwind in the last 5 yrs
> You dicovered HW just 5 yrs after me :-)
> I sometime get the idea that the people on the list were already
> there when I was still in me dipers ;-)

I know this feeling, too!  I first saw HW in 1974,  (I was 12 and it was a field
full of some very strange people, one of which was my cousin.) and I've been a fan
ever since, with and without "enhancement."  I thought I was a completist till I
read the codex, and I thought I knew a deal of Trivia till I joined this list.

I agree with Bart,  don't give up,  it's entertaining reading even if you don't feel
like contributing (I might even have talked myself into posting more)  It's hard
enough being a HW or a BOC fan these days!
Dave