BOC: Live at the Middle East - 11/10/99

Brian Halligan bthalligan at EARTHLINK.NET
Mon Nov 15 10:38:58 EST 1999

>> >[Hall, Russell J] An Old Beatles tune - I think

Then I replied:
>>Theo was there, he'll tell you. :-)

>Yeah, I'll bite.  Torgo Sedler was there too.

And through this list Torgo pointed me towards an amazing Mexican
restaurant right across the street from the venue. One of many reasons
BOC-L is my favorite list. Music knowledge + culinary advice is a potent
combination.

>Smokin' Joe is an
>amazing player, and I'm mystified that he isn't a bigger star, esp.
>given the success that other young 'blues' hot shots like Kenny Wayne
>Vaughan and Jonny Collins Lang are experiencing.  I've seen 'em all,
>and none of these kids even approach Smokin' Joe as a player.

I saw Lang on a Blues program from the White House on PBS. He seemed like a
cross between Van Halen and Joe Cocker!  Strangely enough, I saw Kenny
Wayne open for Van Halen once...he does sound more like the second coming
of Vaughan though.

>All that being said, I wasn't too pleased seeing him on stage with
>BOC!  It's apples and oranges, and I don't particularly dig seeing
>BOC play covers like 'Slow Down' nor do I like seeing a blues-tyoe
>guy jamming with BOC.  Just doesn't jibe with my twisted sense of
>aesthetics...
>
>theo

At least he didn't attempt to play Dominance & Submission. That would have
sounded more "wrong" that BOC playing Slow Down, IMHO. ;-)

Brian