BOC: Live at the Middle East - 11/10/99

Ted Jackson jr. s2h2 tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Mon Nov 15 10:29:43 EST 1999

> From:          Brian Halligan <bthalligan at EARTHLINK.NET>
> I saw Lang on a Blues program from the White House on PBS. He seemed like a
> cross between Van Halen and Joe Cocker!

Hmm...he doesn't look anything like EVH, and if we're talking
guitar-playing ability...But I will say one good thing about
him--he's a pretty good singer.  Sounds like a seasoned veteran and
not a high-school kid.  Maybe some day he'll learn another guitar
lick to go along with the one he keeps recycling all night...

I saw Jonny open for Jeff Beck!  At least it wasn't JB opening for
JL.  Should have seen all the kids in the crowd.  You know they
weren't Jeff Beck fans.  Anyway, the 'second' guitarist in Jonny's
band was relegated to strictly rhythm playing for most of the set.
But toward the end of his show, JL let the old guy play a couple of
solos--and he blew Jonny off the stage.  JL's nothing but a gimmick.
I'm sure his heart's in the right place, but that shouldn't entitle
him to anything but our blessing...

theo