HW: St Austell Coliseum Gig

IAN ABRAHAMS ian at ABRAHAMSI.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Tue Nov 16 13:59:28 EST 1999

  I think we'll have to write it off as friendly rivalry between Ron and Nik, but I just thought that Nik deserved his "five minutes in the sun" so to speak without Ron trying to a) out-do him and b) talk over him.  I just felt respect was due and at St. Austell Nik didn't get his fair share of the limelight.

    The most interesting thing was Ron's performance, which was excellent for the first half but just became so over the top towards the end as to be irritating.

    I got the impression that there might have been some (friendly, I'm sure) rivalry between Ron and Nik.  There was also the matter of which of them would stay on stage the longest at the end of the gig making announcements (Ron won with his 'this band is anti-heroin speech').  Ron's performance was certainly more over-the-top at Croydon than the non-Nik gigs.

    By the way, I meant to say 'hi' to those of you I met (briefly) at the end of the Croydon gig ('d have liked to have made it to the pub but London traffic conspired against me).  Hope to meet y'all again sometime.

    Nick