Off Zork

John A. Swartz jswartz at MITRE.ORG
Wed Nov 17 09:24:29 EST 1999

> Completely off the subject however, does anyone have the game Zork?
> If so when you get to the old sailor with the painting, what do you
> do? I have been on the foggy marsh, in the cellar of the pub and on
> the wharf, but I don't seem to be getting any further, can anyone give
> me a few pointers?

I used to LOVE this game - my .sig file once read:

>Kill troll with sword

You don't have that!

Anyway, as to your question, I am not sure of the answer - if I remember
correctly, the problem you mention is from "Beyond Zork", not the
original Zork.  I used to have a hint book for that game, but it may now
be lost in the GUI (Great Underground Empire).

I did, however, find a website that will give you a walkthrough - of
course, this might spoil your enjoyment of the game:

http://www.cheatersguild.com/bezork.htm

If you just want a hint - if you played the first zork, you may know of
some significance to saying a certain greeting - think how you might
address this person with his painting...

John