BRAIN: what a piece of work Piece of Work is

Bolts of Ungodly Vision js3619 at WIZVAX.NET
Thu Nov 18 16:36:07 EST 1999

Saints be praised, (and Albert catching my ole Potsdam address before
mailing.Gracias times 6.02x10^23 :) ) it's in the stereo!

I dig this album immensely for the simple reason that it sounds like a
group of friends who are playing things they want to play. Biloxi reminds
me of an opening benediction in thanks for the feast offered on the two
discs and thanks  for being able to perform all 88 minutes. It says "Hey
there, here's some music. We like it, so you might too."  Great vox work
from the 5.

AS to everything that follows its remarkable in that the guitars are even
more integrated than what had earmarked Box of Hammers and the other
Pete/Billy performances on albums of yore.  Albert's voice plays a neat
role on the songs he sings the main lines-- it's like a whisper out of the
night that threatens your doorstep - but in a good way ("ON the Road
(Again)").

"Rock and Roll is Dead"'s bass (imm assuming thats a bass anyways) strikes
me as a peppy version of Bill Wyman's "2120 South Michigan Ave" bass. THe
thing is, the song is so different than that old Stone's instrumental that
it really doesn't matter. I just dig it completely.

I could go on for each and every song in a drooling fanboy frenzy of sheer
unadulterated glee about how much I like everything I hear.. But to keep it
short, it's new in textures and song stylings and familiar in that you can
feel where the players were coming from.
As to other comments made before on the list about beefed up bass sound,
heck yeah! The funkiness  the dead on right fills are NICE. Oh yeah, Albert
does a fair job on the drums as well (Yes, that's a bloddy big
understatement).

This album reminds me of the more emotional moments of "Spectres" (Death
Vallye Nights fer example) and "Agents of Fortune" but with a
crispness,sincerity  and JOY that outshines the past with its own
distinctive voice.  Unlike most addictions/obsessions, Piece of Work holds
forth far more promise of a good buzz from the source.  I think for me, it
puts another nail in the coffin of BOC (contemporary BOC).   Heaven Forbid
just didn't have the "ooomph" of hearing the band in the throes of
relishing the fun of  music that the Brain Surgeons have always exhibited
on disc, tape, onstage and off.

YAY!
Jason