Nik's Sphynx album

flossbac flossbac at NLCI.COM
Thu Nov 18 20:09:02 EST 1999

> I recently picked up one of those
> budget Cleopatra 4-CD boxes (a good deal, if you don't already have any of
> the CD's).  This one is *mostly* great, with a Spiral Realms CD (I worship
> Simon House), Calvert's 'Freq' (with bonus tracks that I didn't have!
> yeah!), and the 'Psychedelic Warlords' comp (with a couple tracks I didn't
> already have on CD).  But it also includes the Nik Turner 'Sphynx' remake
> (the Cleopatra one, not the original one on Charisma with Steve Hillage,
> etc., which I love).  Man!  Is that one a stinker.  I love Nik, I love
> Helios Creed & Chrome, I really like the Pressurehed/Farflung crew, but I
> just can't enjoy this CD.  At least the follow-up, 'Prophets of Time', is
> *huge* improvement (and the two subsequent live sets are great).
>
>         -Doug

Wow Doug, it's crazy how opinions vary, because I've always thought the
Sphynx CD (Cleopatra version) was WAY better than Prophets of Time.  The
Space Ritual '94 I wasn't too keen on either--most of the performances sound
uninspired, more like a Hawkwind cover band than something that actually has
a few members of the legendary act!  However, Past or Future seemed a great
comeback.... some really great tunes on there....
John Majka
http://www.nlci.com/users/flossbac/hawkwind.html