OFF : This week ....in Space/Krautrock

Keith Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Fri Nov 19 11:49:10 EST 1999

Jon asked...

>This week 'oi 'ave mostly been listening to The Cosmic Jokers. I bought
>all 4 albums at once and they rock. Well, they float, at least.

Yeah, the Galactic Joke piece from the very first one is something very
special, ain't it?

>I'm looking for other stuff like this and say, Harmonia, and trying to
>avoid shouty/klanging things like Kluster's Zwei Osterei.

The one you want from Moebius/Roedelius IMHO is Sowiesoso (Cluster with a
'C'), a very ambient, hypnotic album of beautiful sounds (the title means
'Always the same').  But with true 'character' (and tension) as opposed to
new agey schmaltz.

>Anyone got any favourites? (We know Dave likes Neu! after doing the
>sleevenotes)

Oh, Jesus, don't get me started!!

Neu!'s first album *was* very innovative, with proto-trance,
proto-industrial, and proto-ambient music (if you will) all represented.  I
thought I saw (on www.eurock.com) that an official CD re-release was finally
made of this, but I have yet to hear any definite confirmation of that.  Of
course, it was part of the huge collection of Germanofon boots that have
been around for years.

Anyway, as far as 'kosmische' stuff in the vein of Cosmic Jokers....

I disagree with Andy G. on Amon Düül (I)...I never found much of interest
there,  too amateur for my tastes.  Especially given the wonderful Amon Düül
II (for which Andy has his own very informative webpage)...
Plus, Munich music was really more 'ethnic' and folksy than the Berliners.
I'd be more inclined to stay in Berlin and suggest Agitation Free's '2nd' or
even better, 'At the cliffs of river Rhine'.  (Note that AgFree's first
album, Malesch is *very* 'ethnic' itself....and very good as well.)  And of
course, Ash Ra Tempel...Schwingungen is a good one (some dodgy vocals), and
the Cleopatra 2CD 'Best of the Private Tapes' is excellent....esp. if you
like Göttsching's 'loopy' guitar work.  I would recommend also Wegmuller's
Tarot album, except I've never heard it....damn thing is too expensive.  But
it's supposed to be one of the best in that Cosmic Berlin sound.  Mythos
were a pretty cool band also, esp. if you like flute.

You also might like Gila's first S/T album, sometimes called 'Free Electric
Sound.'  They were from Stuttgart, but are a mix of Berlin and Munich sounds
I think.

Keith H. (FAA)

P.S.  Two members of Wallenstein were in the Cosmic Jokers supergroup, but
you should note that their music is not 'drifty space' stuff, but rather
more keyboard-oriented kraut-prog.  Good stuff still, but not very much like
Ash Ra or CJ.  They weren't really from Berlin anyway.

P.P.S.  Guru Guru were another excellent Berlin band, but they were either
more freaked out (earlier) or jazzy (later).  The 'transition' album (Dance
of the Flames, 1974) is my favorite.  A little silly perhaps!  'Hinten' is
pretty cool too.

P.P.P.S.  I'm ignoring Tangerine Dream because I don't know enough about
them...I see merit in their first 'rock' album (Electronic Meditation), but
I was bored with 'Zeit.'