OFF: Farflung

Sat Nov 20 16:24:17 EST 1999

On Sat, 20 Nov 1999, Thomas Rickert wrote:

> I recently purchased Farflung's *The Belief Module*, and I can't stop playing
> it. Long, amorphous but tuneful songs mixed with shorter tunes. Lots of guitar,
> but nice synth passages and effects, too. Not to mention a short bit of birds
> singing!  A good deal like Pressurehed, but with more expansive, organic
> songs--in other words, more Hawkwind-like (ala Brainstorm). Personally, I like
> them better than Pressurehed. I'm interested in exploring their catalog
> further--what can you say about *25,000 Feet per Second*?

        _25,000 Feet per Second_ is much straighter HW-type stuff, with
one very long piece like the _Belief Module_ stuff which is great. There
isn't a bad moment on the disk, though the title track has only really got
to me after hearing the Strange Daze 97 version when they bothered to make
something of the riff. Yours,
                              Jon

P.S. It is mastered annoyingly quietly, but to make up for it has four
sleeves to choose from :-)