HW: Recent v Old / Poll

Dave Berry daveb at TARDIS.ED.AC.UK
Sun Nov 21 08:33:24 EST 1999

At 09:58 21/11/99 , Andy Gilham wrote:
>I suppose there is, but that's just because Bob was the best, and a real
>one-off.  Ron's a likeable bloke, but he's no Calvert.

I was really pleased when Ron joined the band, not because I disliked the Trio, but because they started doing more Calvert numbers .  Ron's stage presence and singing during the Alien and Love In Space tours was excellent.  The absolute highlight for me was seeing Steppenwolf live again after almost 20 years.  Similarly, I treasure Bridget's performance of Reefer Madness on California Brainstorm.

I liked Ron on the 1997 tour as well, although I'd happily trade his bass playing for Alan's.

Ron certainly is no Calvert when it comes to writing lyrics, but at least he brought some new ideas to the band for a while.  He seems to be running out of ideas now though.

>(And I thought he looked disturbingly like Adam Ant at Croydon :)

I can't comment on that; I didn't see this tour.

Dave.

Dave Berry,  www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~daveb