HW: Recent v Old / Poll

Sun Nov 21 10:23:22 EST 1999

On Sun, 21 Nov 1999 DASLUD at AOL.COM wrote:

> but the above suggests a unilateral reverence for bob calvert which i do not
> share. and =that= is why i =never=  discuss mr calvert w/y'all.
>
> is calvert the standard by which all subsequents are judged?
> seeing as he was their first non-playing front man, apparently.
> i always liked how in the early '70s there were 4 vocalists...

        Well, I agree with both parts: I do revere Mr. Calvert, but it's
precisely because there isn't going to be another one that comparing
people to him gets you nowhere. He's not the best singer they've had (I
still think Dave is overall the best voice HW's ever had) though he might
be the clearest, or even the best composer, he's just the Bob Calvert. I
think Bridget was never other than herself and she was worthwhile on
balance more than Rizz but not always, I think Ron started trying to be
Calvert and got back to his own punk style quicker the more of his
material they started playing. And I think Rizz is bloody awful except in
a `Wheels' on HW97 and should be forced to record another solo album right
now and never ever play with HW again.

        I kind of hope that Nik is going to manage to get himself in on
this studio album as then it might actually happen, so many people in the
band will be trying to prove they can do as well as he can... and he won't
care as long as he gets to stand out front and be friends wth the crowd.
Yours,
        Jon