HW: Recent v Old / Poll

Sun Nov 21 10:42:36 EST 1999

On Sun, 21 Nov 1999, Dave Berry wrote:

> How well do Jerry and Simon fit together?  They both play lead
> instruments; do they clash or meld?

        Jerry's good enough, as is Simon, to share the stage gracefully
with anyone. He and Huw were a particularly blinding combination I
thought.

> My ideal line-up, from people still around the HW camp, would certainly
> include Dave, Richard and Simon, and Jerry if he and Simon can work out
> lead roles together.  They'd need a bassist, for which Alan would be a
> most welcome return IMO.  (Though I've no idea if Alan and Dave still
> speak to each other).  I don't know how well Ron fitted in to the recent
> tour, but from what I've seen of him in earlier years I'd happily keep
> him as a singer.  And I'd probably be happy if Harvey rejoined on
> keyboards, and even Nik if he promises not to sing!  (Especially if he
> plays more flute).

        When Alan first brought Bedouin to Cambridge we asked him this,
and he said firstly that he'd left because "they none of them want to _do_
anything", and that Dave had asked him about being on the reunion thing
and that he'd not been interested, having only just got out.

> Somehow I can't imagine the eight of them all getting it together
> though, both personally and on stage!

        That was very much the case at Croydon: they were all right
together but some songs just didn't have room for them all. I think Ron
and Nik are a conflict zone. If they (all) took guest slots on various
tracks though I think we could get some really exciting stuff! Yours,
                                                                      Jon