HW: Recent v Old / Poll

flossbac flossbac at NLCI.COM
Sun Nov 21 10:51:21 EST 1999

There were a lot of great years and lineups throughout HW's history--it's so
hard to pick and choose!  They all had different strengths and
weaknesses.... But I think I side with Berhnhard in saying that 1989 was the
best live year for HW....especially when we had Harvey on keyboards (by far
the best and spaciest HW keyboardist ever), Alan on bass (unequalled except
by only one other person....), Richard on drums (best ever HW drummer), and
Huw (a really unique and talented lead guitarist) on lead..... wow, to think
that this dream lineup actually existed for a few months!  Initially I was
disappointed when Huw left, but things were still great, as Harvey's
keyboards became more prominent and the gigs were fantastic..... I really
really miss Harvey!  And now that Alan is gone too, it's really sad.... At
least we have Dave and Richard who are a very strong nucleus.... but if
Richard left at this point, I think HW would be hopelessly crippled, it
would just be the Dave Brock act with supporting musicians.  Other thoughts:
yes, Danny Thompson was awful wasn't he?  Martin Griffin was possibly just
as bad.  When Nik joined up again in the 80's it was a mixed bag--some of
the shows are the worst I've ever heard, but then again a few of them were
pretty entertaining.... overall, Nik was bad for HW in the 80's, I think.
Sometimes he's pretty good though (witness the live recording of "solitary
mind games" on Out and Intake, where there is some nice--and in tune!--flute
playing).  I liked Bridgett's contribution, even though her vocals live left
something to be desired.... but they're no worse than Alan's vocals, which
tended to be totally out of key.  I am puzzled by Rizz--initially I hated
him, then I started to feel he was OK, but then I decided again I don't
really like what he's doing in HW....I fluctuate in opinion I guess.....Ron
is better than he was.....originally the vocals on Alien4 left me speechless
with horror, but Ron has grown on me..... the sheer amateurishness and
over-the-top aspect to him has left me feeling like HW has picked up more
credibility thereby.....I like him now!
end of ramble....
John Majka