OFF: Farflung

Keith Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Sun Nov 21 15:19:25 EST 1999

Jon said....

>> Sorry - dont know anything about ASF.  Was given 25,000 feet per second by
>> Farflung recently (thanks Keith).  Pretty good.  What other Farflung albums
>> are recommended?
>
>        _The Belief Module_, the latest one, is the current frontier of
>explored space. Sell your relatives to get it. Of the other two, _So Man
>Minds, So Little Time_ is a collection of pre-band, single and out-take
>material which is apparently OK, and _The Raven That Ate The Moon_ is
>truly badly pressed (no-one knows how may tracks there actually are, the
>CD saying 4 and the liner listing six but referring to guests on Nos. 7 &
>8... ), and has some amazing mind-expanding improv. stuff, but never
>really settles down to anything apart from the twenty-five minute tacky
>synth loop it runs off with. Only for the brave.

Yeah, that's pretty awful, innit?  The earlier stuff on that album makes it
worthwhile though.

I agree with the overall consensus, 25K ft./sec and TBM being the best ones.

Keith H. (FAA)

NP:  Farflung - The Myth of Solid Ground (1999, pre-release CD-R)...some
high points here also!!

1.  When I Woke to Sleep No More - slowish space-march with Neu!-like sound f/X
2.  Breach of I - a little like a heavy, punkish reading of Dust of Time,
with Ozzy-esque (i.e., mocking voice) singing, ending up with an excellent
long space-blanga jam
3.  Prototype of a Traveller - excellent classic space-rock style
riff....totally jammin' and cosmic (fantastic track!)
4.  Those Clouds are Solid - heavy space-punk number, monotonish vocals...decent
5.  Something in the Water - extneded spacey ambient noodling...
6.  I Have Seen the Saucers - quiet, subdued ditty...
7.  The Larval Stage - heavy stompin' and deliberate number with heavy
f/X'ed vocals.   Appropriately titled...degeneration proceeding!  Not bad
actually.