HW: Recent v Old / Poll

Dave Greenhalgh d.greenhalgh at VIRGIN.NET
Sun Nov 21 18:59:33 EST 1999

There's a lot of mud being slung at Bridgett here.  I admit that when first
exposed to her singing it was a bit of a shock.  I hadn't heard the album so
when I turned up at Southampton and found a female singer I was wondering if I'd
gone to the right gig.  But, IMHO, she added a lot to the Hawkwind of the
moment.  Yes, I agree that neither Bridgett no Rizz are exactly wonderful
singers,  but then neither was Huw, or Alan, or Harvey.  Part of the strength of
Hawkwind,  for me, has always been the band's willingness to let everyone
contribute, albeit under the fearsome gaze of Mr. Brock.  That and the fact that
they've never stood still. After all,  If you picked up, say Doremi, Astounding
and Space Bandits,  someone who wasn't wise to Hawkwind would have a devil of a
job agreeing that they are all by the "same" band.

I first came across Hawkwind at the tender age of 12 in 1974 when my cousin took
me to a field in the middle of who knows where with the instruction to "not tell
my mum,"  like Larry, that first exposure stuck with me and has coloured my
taste in music ever since.  I find it real hard to define  my favourite era, as
some are doing in this thread,  but from my taste in sound I would have to have
in my line up Huw, Lemmy (or Ron if he is allowed to be Ron), Tim Blake, Simon.
Nik certainly adds a lot to Hawkwind, and the band, IMHO, miss the kick up the
arse he provides,  but I would have to have him in the Part Time slot, chaos is
great,  but not all the way through!

Just my £0.02

Dave