OFF: "musicians made drug use look tempting?" ^_~ =koff=

Ted Jackson jr. s2h2 tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Tue Nov 23 14:05:16 EST 1999

> From:          M Holmes <fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK>
> > Jeez, now who would ever think that a guy who advocates arming the
> > entire citezenry
>
> That's the entire *law abiding* citizenry over age of adulthood thanks.
>
> > is a conservative!
>
> A rash assumption when it's a perfectly normal libertarian policy.
>
> Let's throw in me being pro-choice on abortion, in favour of
> legalisation and sale of all drugs to consenting adults (including
> those currently monopolised by folks with a medical degree), in favour
> of the legalisation of brothels, in favour of the abolition of all laws
> limiting gambling or any form of sex between consenting adults, in
> favour of the repeal of laws pertaining to the sale of alcohol to
> consenting adults except those pertaining to labelling, quality control,
> and fraud.  In favour of laws abolishing any politician interfering in
> the marketplace except insofar as to protect against theft or fraud.  In
> favour of laws abolishing any but voluntary taxation (if the politicians
> have a project then they can convince us that it's a good idea at their
> own expense and then pass the hat for those thus convinced to
> contribute).  In favour of repeal of any law concerning pornography
> involving only consenting adults.  In favour of amendment of any law
> favouring any one religion or cult to similarly favour all religions
> and cults and also atheism.  I'll skip my more radical political beliefs
> to save bandwidth. In favour of marriage of gay couples of either
> flavour or eunuchs with all the legal benefits thereof (and come to
> think of it I've nothing against marriages involving multiples of people
> either - whatever burns their candle).
>
> Now, find me any active conservative who'll go along with all of the
> above in a public statement and I'll cop to being a conservative.

Jeez, Mike, looks like the only place we part company is over guns!

> > > I find it completely bizarre that the same society which foisted the War
> > > on Some Drugs on the rest of the civilised world manages to sedate so
> > > many of its kids on other Drugs of Choice.
>
> > Yeah, well there's always Holland.  I cataloged a book a couple
> > months ago, written by a conservative Republican who advocated the
> > legalization of all drugs.  This guy worked in Bush's cabinet, and he
> > could see the inequity and destructiveness of the so-called 'war on
> > drugs.'  When will the rest catch on?
>
> Either the rest of the world (except the Swedes) are just gonna defy the
> US on this one when things get too detructive or the US is going to lead
> the retreat. The only way forward in the US that I can see is as with
> the repeal of the Volstead Act: the States have gotta go ahead in
> defiance of the federal government until they cry uncle.

Worst thing about prohibition was that it actually became a
constitutional amendment!  And it took another amendment to repeal
it.  There have only been something like 25 amendments to the
constitution in 200 years, the last one happened over 30 years ago.
Goes to show what can happen when a highly determined group seizes
the political process in a vacuum created by general voter
indifference...

theo