OFF: "musicians made drug use look tempting?" ^_~ =koff=

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Wed Nov 24 09:55:25 EST 1999

Chris Warburton writes:

> As for the "bad parenting" and divorce comments, I've calmed down now, and
> I shan't be stalking Scotsmen at HW gigs with a 10" boning knife

Jeese, are those still legal? New Nanny must be slipping.

> - there's
> a lot of it about, though how much of it is truly "bad" rather than lazy or
> careless I'm not sure

Conceded, though if the end result is the same...

> in my own case, it took me seven years to realise my
> marriage was a disaster, I hung on for another three "for the sake of the
> kids" and it only made things worse.  Believe me, lots of people stick
> together who shouldn't, and the home stresses have a very bad effect on the
> kids, in many cases worse than the consequences of divorce.

I hadn't meant to imply that divorce or separation was the wrong action
for the welfare of kids in each and every instance, but a quick glimpse
at the statistics in the US might make even the most hardened cynic
wonder whether such solutions were perhaps pursued with some
over-enthusiasm. In terms of kids in, and causing, trouble, boys are far
and away a larger issue than girls. Research in the 90's seems to be
heading for such unanimity on the conclusion that boys need fathers to
put them on the straight and narrow that only the most committed
"alternative family advocates" would take issue on the matter.

And even they make more sense than Tipper Gore and fellow idiots who try
to pin it on music CD's.

> ChrisW

FoFP