OFF: Censorship hits home

Ted Jackson jr. s2h2 tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Tue Nov 30 12:32:08 EST 1999

> From:          M Holmes <fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK>
> If any others have any suggestions of how to take on the book burners
> and the craven politicians backing them, then we're open to ideas...

Funny you should mention this.  In my town, there's a plan afoot to
re-zone much of the city in an attempt to outlaw most 'adult
entertainment.'  Because you can't legally put someone out of
business who is running a legal shop, you must offer them an
alternative site if you institute such zoning.  So they've proposed a
sort of 'porno ghetto' in a lonely stretch of town where all the
adult businesses will have to locate!  Actually, this has been done
in other US cities, c.f. Boston--a city which always used to pride
itself as one of the intellectual nerve centers of North America.

But how 'bout Canada?  Porno [hardcore, that is] is completely
illegal, and will be siezed at the border.  Didn't some band get in
trouble over this a few years back?

theo