OFF: Censorship hits home

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Tue Nov 30 13:11:10 EST 1999

Apparently there's to be a "Pornfire" preceded by a torchlight parade
with drums on Calton Hill in Edinburgh this Thursday at 7pm.  This is
apparently in "aid" of a Violence Against Women campaign and is being
funded by the City Council (or more accurately by us poor schmuck
taxpayers).  Needless to say we've gotten a small group together to
protest this nonsense.  Plans so far are for a letter to the various
newspapers signed by local worthies and dignitaries such as the writer
Iain Banks and a woman who writes material for "Relate" - an
organisation who do counselling for domestic violence.  Someone is
handling faxes to radio stations and journalists inviting them to a Book
Burning <grin>.  We also plan a special surprise on the night itself and
some leafletting of the event.

I'm also considering playing Hawkwind's "Fahrenheit 451" at the event,
since that seems appropriate, though I don't have a usable
ghettoblaster.  If any Edinburgh hawkfans wuld like to bring or loan
one, this would be much appreciated.

If any others have any suggestions of how to take on the book burners
and the craven politicians backing them, then we're open to ideas...

FoFP