HW: Collectors Series queries

Keith Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Wed Oct 20 14:33:34 EDT 1999

Hello...

So, has anyone figured out when these releases are going to trickle out for
public consumption?  And whether these are going to be distributed through
standard channels, or again by the passport-style method?

IIRC, the Glastonbury '90 and Live '79 double were to be the first ones out.
Am I right about that?

You know, today I'm listening to a great tape (thanks Chuck) of the 1989 US
tour (Milwaukee in this case), and am re-realizing how fantastic a show this
was!! Well, I didn't see the Milwaukee show, but I was at Toronto and
Cleveland.  My goodness, what a phenomenal show...I remember hearing (after
the postponement of the original dates) that Huwy had split just before
coming over and being really disappointed, but as much as I would've loved
to see HLL play with Hawkwind, I don't think this show would've been the
same.  Since they probably had to drop a bunch of 80s material, things like
Magnu, Down through the Night, and Damnation Alley appeared.  The only thing
that would've made this show better was if Simon was there to fill in the
empty void in tracks like Wind of Change.  Anyway, I just wanted to publicly
state my sincere wish that the collectors series would someday grow to
include a full-length version of the '89 US set.  I know, some of Palace
Springs is derived from that same material (anybody know what show that was?
San Fran?), but I'd like to hear it all together without any major
posttreatment.  Kinda like Hawkwind '97...good quality sound but not overly
'clean' like IYA turned out.  That edginess in the sound helps give it a
truer live feel.  Hell, this tape I have (probably a couple generations old
as it is) is pretty darn near adequate for this sort of release, just a
little EQ needed.

Anyway, that's my wish...I have very fond memories of that drive to Toronto
for the very first HW show on North American soil in over 10 years.  (I
never did pay that parking ticket!  And the woman at the door did the Can-US
$ conversion the wrong way, and short-changed me big time!!  Unfortunately I
didn't notice until much later.)  Who else was there?  Eric S. and Steven L.
I'm sure, though I didn't know them at the time.

So, who here is carrying the collector's series?  Mr. Speigel?  Paul?
Henrik?  Or do we have to go through the Doug P.-Mike H.-HW connection?

Keith H. (FAA)