HW: Guardian review

Dave Berry daveb at TARDIS.ED.AC.UK
Fri Sep 10 11:30:56 EDT 1999

At 12:38 06/09/99 , chris bates wrote:
>I think EMI are doing a great job of promoting epoch-eclipse.

I agree.  The actual content isn't that different from earlier compilations
such as 25 Years On or the 3-CD Anthology set, but this set is getting
coverage from loads of different publications.  Also, the idea of pairing
the box set with a single CD "best of" is a good one.  On the one hand, it
draws in punters who might be willing to risk the price of one CD, but not
a boxed set.  On the other hand, it appeals to me -- not being a Kollector,
I don't really want a 3-CD collection of stuff I already own, but there the
single CD is worth it because it has several songs or versions of songs
that I don't have elsewhere.

(E.g. I don't think I have Back On The Streets on CD; I'm sure I don't have
Night Of The Hawks anymore, I don't have the radio edit of Right To Decide,
or the Roswell (single?) edit or Alien I Am.  I do have a single version of
Love In Space, but only on a single, so the inclusion on the compilation is
nice.  The inclusion of Urban Guerilla is also welcome, just because it
doesn't turn up on live albums, and I like it a lot.  And of course there's
the KLF remix).

>However as with so many reviews
>of HW it came to the conclusion that 70s = good, 80s and 90s = not
>so good. Which, whilst I guess it's the concensus here on BOC-L is
>not something I agree with.

Mojo's summary of the recent re-releases was "air-brushed heavy metal".
Which is a bit harsh, but I can see where they're coming from (even for
Palace Springs, which I love).   At least they liked IITBOTFTBD.  Maybe HW
should push this side of things more?

Dave.