HW: Year 2000 Codename Hawkwind

Jill jill at THETA-ORIONIS.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Tue Sep 21 18:48:03 EDT 1999

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRGGGGHHHHH

yeah - it was a mistake.  My train was delayed or lost or had wandered
off somewhere else for a while so I went for a walk round York until it
rediscovered the station.   And I passed Track Records.   And I went
in.
And there was a neat little package labelled as above sitting in the
Hawkwind bin.    Ah heck - I'm a Kollector and as I understood it this
was to be the final time for these reissues.   In The Beginning - Text
of Festival - Space Ritual Vol 2.    All the discs brought together in a
single package with all the correct track lists containing all the
tracks in one final presentation package and that would be it - no more
re-releases of these particular tapes, ever.  I might be unaware of the
finer details of this agreement but I really did think that for this
particular occasion they'd at least have corrected the track listings.

Not a bit of if!   Quite apart from an initial confusion before I
realised  the discs had been put in the wrong sleeves Disc One turns out
to be the reissue of Space Ritual 2 and Disc Two the reissue of In The
Beginning. I'd been anticipating this and indeed the track names on Disc
Two have definitely been slightly amended but the tracks listed on the
cover are still 8 in number while the tracks my CD player recognises are
only 6.  Worse - the track Came Home has never, ever, existed on ANY of
the reissues and yet it has consistently been added to the reissue cover
every single time.   And yes, it is duly listed on this cover and no -
it is not there at all on the disc.   Sigh.

Discs Three and Four when they come out are supposed to include the
missing track from Text of Festival (correctly named I assume...)
Somehow I'm beginning to doubt it.

However I have to admit that the packaging is stylish and the CD sleeve
cover artwork is very elegant indeed.   Who is Paul Jukes?   His
combination of Easter Island and Stonehenge is magnificent - I want
more.

jill
Jill Strobridge <jill at theta-orionis.freeserve.co.uk> or
J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk