HW: Wind Of Change

Si Halley sihalley at VOSSNET.CO.UK
Sat Apr 22 16:04:36 EDT 2000

Subject: Re: HW: Wind Of Change

> So it looks like three 1983 LLG studio tracks were made then...
> Outside the Law
> Working Time
> Wind of Change (maybe)

Don`t know whether any of this is relevent to this thread (I`ve not been
paying enough attention :( ) but from memory(and record sleeves):

The first Live LLG album was recorded at the Brentford Red Lion. This was
supposed to be Huw`s first solo show. I was lucky enough to be there. It was
a great gig. Lot`s of cry`s for `Hurry On Sundown` which I seem to remember
Huw played a small teaser from but stoped saying it was Dave`s song and he
hadn`t reheased it.
He said the band had been working on a few tracks for a studio album.
At the show it seemed just about everyone was recording it. I know I did
(though my tape disappeared years ago). One guy actually had a `ghetto
Blaster` ON the front of the stage and Huw even taked into it when someone
said the vocals weren`t loud enough!
These tapes apparently went into circulation very quickly and copies reached
Huw. Most weren`t that good (in his opinion) and so the first album `Outside
The Law` was rush released from his tape on Flickknife (Sharp 15) to try and
stop people selling the bad tapes.
Included with this album was a free single, (free 001) of `Working Time` b/w
`I See You`. The Label lists Huw- Gtr, Vox, J. Clark, M Griffin - Drums, R.
Rawlinson - Bass. As there are two drummers listed I presume the tracks are
from different sessions.

Next came the `Wind Of Change` single (FLS 021) which had `Outside The Law`
on the B`side. Sleeve says recorded at Alaska Studios so I presume both are
studio versions. Can`t check right now but can later if it`s important.

The next LLG release I`ve got is a 12" of `Dreams That Fade Away`/`It`s On
Me`. Copyright is 1984 so slightly later then your listing. Personal listed
is Bass - Kenny Wilson, Drums/Harmony Vocals - John Clarke, Guitar/Synth
Guitar/Vocals - Huw.
This was released on Ultra Noise (12 Huw 1). I`m presuming this is also
Studio recordings.

That`s where I lost track as my local source of HW/etc records closed and it
became more difficult to get obscure stuff off the shelf.

Hope that`s all of interest.

Si

By the way, was Harvey`s Almon Mulo noted? He also did a tape for Orbit
fanzine which was basically a long (over an hour?) interview on tape with
him playing all through in the background and featured a few clips of his
earlier bands like Ark. I`ve got it somewhere still. Very interesting.