HW:Ticketmaster & Visa

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Tue Aug 29 09:44:40 EDT 2000

On Tue, 29 Aug 2000, Ted Jackson jr. wrote:

=> On 29 Aug 00, at 7:09, Filip Vanhuyse wrote:
=>
=> > Hello,
=> >
=> > Can anyone tell if it's safe to order on the website
=> > from Ticketmaster with Visa?
=> > Never done that before.
=> > I'm probably asking a stupid question.
=>
=> There is one safe way to go with this:  use a debit card with just
=> enough money in the account to cover the bill...

Actually, I've heard that debit cards are the absolutely *least safe*
way to buy "with plastic."  They have little or none of the protections
that come with credit cards (refusing charges; dispute resolution;
etc.), and are a direct line to your bank account.

In fact, that's the reason I ditched my debit card in favour of a credit
card.

I've heard some people advise getting a separate credit card just for
online and mail-order purchases, one with a low credit limit to prevent
third-party abuse.

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu