HW: a question of past members

Nick Medford nick at HERMIT0.DEMON.CO.UK
Mon Dec 11 10:00:43 EST 2000

In message <005701c06350$950d8a80$453b70c2 at merlinas>, David
Bottomley <merlinas at DIRCON.CO.UK> writes

>BTW, the "also" in this quote refers in part to one of the drummers they
>were using during these rehearsals - Robbie Dobson (ex-Enid). Now there's a
>thought - do the most dedicated of Completists feel the need to trawl
>through the back catalogue of The Enid? Rather you than me..............
>
>Dave

I'll admit it - I used to be really into the Enid (youthful folly, m'lud). From
memory Robbie Dobson is only on 2 albums- 'In the Region of the Summer
Stars' and 'Six Pieces', but I'm not about to rummage through the attic for
the albums to check. Possibly he's on some compilations too. FWIW it's
worth I think the stuff they did with a full band is OK-ish, the stuff post-
1980 when they were down to duo or trio mostly stinks.

A few months ago I was amazed to stumble across an Enid website and even
more amazed to discover that the band still exists. Robert John Godfrey
evidently reformed the band with an all-new supporting cast. I was surprised
-to say the least- as I distinctly remember attending their "farewell gigs" at
the Dominion Theatre sometime in the late 80s! Around that time I was
going off them in a big way and they're definitely a band that fell by the
wayside as far as my personal tastes go.

<rant> Anyway examination of the website reveals that RJG is every bit as
pretentious and self-pitying as he always was, that the sound samples of their
more recent output sound exactly like the stuff on their 80s albums, and,
worst of all, that RJG has seen fit to put up a page of info about ex-members
where we get things like "X- didn't have the fortitude to be in a band that
wasn't commercially successful" or "Z- left the band to move to Ireland,
since then dogged by drink problems and mental illness".  If this is true a)
to mention it as part of a snide personal attack is about as cheap as it gets,
and b) what the hell is sensitive personal stuff like that doing on a public
website- you can be sure he didn't ask the guy's permission! </rant>

What a thoroughly unpleasant man he must be.
--
Nick Medford