HW: finest moments

Mark Edmonds mmje at MMJE.DEMON.CO.UK
Mon Dec 11 15:01:30 EST 2000

These things are always fun...

No question: Steppenwolf, especially the middle section. Its one of the few
pieces of music where I melt through the floorboards.

Others:

The guitar gliss into the main riff of Damnation Alley.

The phased/flanged intro, drum roll and crash into the riff of the PXR5
version of Uncle Sam.

The bass guitar during the chorus of Mirror of Illusion.

The modulation back to the original key towards the end of (studio) Motorway
City.

A typical brilliant DB economy is the CoH Nuclear Drive where an entire song
is just one repeated pumping chord.

The synth swoop into that crashing riff of Dust Of Time then of course there
is Huw's brilliant solo.

The lyric "Nostrils flare ..." from Angels of Death.

The lyrics for QS&C.

The Orgone Accumulator riff intro as it should be heard (ie: SR2).

Moonglum.

The up-tempo section of Children of the Sun.

How could I forget... Urban Guerilla.

The silence between the tracks on IITBOTFTBD.

The lyric "Put stripes on the stars" from Uncle Sam.

Dave's brilliant "walk-about" solo from the Camden Music Machine gig (1977)
in Uncle Sam (again!).

Uncle Sam again... PXR5 version... about the point of the lyric "He's
looking for a life", Dave switches his rhythm guitar from syncopated to
bouncing on the beat - really shifts the intensity.

The bass work in High Rise.

Most refined studio album: Levitation.

The ability of DB to write so many different songs based on the same riff.

The bleak and desolate but incredibly powerful version of Golden Void as
performed at Hammersmith in December 1988.

Live versions of Utopia.

This could go on forever...

Mark