Look at E-Bay :-(((

BL Young blyoung at BIGFOOT.COM
Wed Dec 27 00:39:44 EST 2000

I had tried my best to copy the "Theta Orionis" for anybody that wanted it a
few months back, but I only got about 4 takers.  I was doing it free (no
money required for postage), just asking for a blank cdr to use for copying.

I think the best way to avoid seeing bootlegs on ebay is for all Hawkwind
fans to network in a much better way, and form a group that freely
distributes all bootlegged material.  It's not a good idea to pirate
official releases, but if diehard fans want these bootlegs, then why not
provide them in a way that profits nobody?  I believe at the time when I
offered to copy Theta for all & sundry I suggested that if they ever meet
Dave Brock or get an address, they should send him $5 (minimum).

I'm really tempted to bid on the Hawkestra cdr set myself, as I've been
trying to find this since the concert happened.  But why try to make money
off the band you love?  If you really love Hawkwind, then why can't you see
that Dave & company should be reaping the dividends off this type of item?
The Spaceship cannot continue to fly as long as others are earning filthy
lucre and diverting the rightful profits elsewhere.

Other bands (such as Zeppelin & Deep Purple) have really well organized
bootleg trees with very high quality standards and very stringent trading
rules.  I think it's time Hawkwind fans created their own, as well.  There's
a number of people with whom I've traded that will probably agree, and at
least one I know has tried to set up trees and chains in the past, with
limited success.

I think with our connections we should be able to "one-up" these other
bands, and set up a great structure whereby if a diehard fan really wants
some bootleg recording, then they can get it.  I'm willing to put all of my
Hawkwind bootlegs (I've got a few available, but not as many as I'd like) up
for free dispersal.  If you want a non-legitimate release that I've got,
then it's yours for the asking.  Just send me a blank, and I'll even cover
return postage myself.  (Or if you've got a boot to trade, that's great,
too.)

And if anybody is willing to give me an address that will reach Dave Brock
guaranteed (or a paypal account), then I'll even figure out some way to send
royalties each time, too.  (There must be some way to work this.)

I've had all the Hawkwind offiical releases (except the passport cd) in
various formats, and I'd never have sold any of them if some hadn't offered
ridiculous exorbitant amounts, but when they get rereleased I'll buy them
again.  I'm not talking about legitimate releases, but certainly bootlegs
contribute to the "fanatical" aspect of being a fan...

Just my 2 cents...

Bryan Young
Saskatchewan, Canada