OT: reccomendation

John H. McCartney scorch at TE-CATS.COM
Thu Dec 28 19:27:36 EST 2000

Here's one that some of you may go for, I sure did!

I recently picked up a 'sampler' disc of what was advertised as
medieval/renaissance/goth, and found quite a lot of it to be
really good, though tracking down releases from some of the
bands is proving to be difficult.

One of the ones I liked best was In Extremo, and I managed to find
their latest release, _Verehrt und Angespien_, which their website
translates as _Worshipped And Spat At_. Wow, this is some pretty
wild stuff. You get a mix of some straight renaissance stuff, and
'metallized' versions of period songs, with some originals and a
Sisters of Mercy cover thrown in. Beware, stay away if you can't
deal with bagpipes! On the majority of places where you'd expect
a guitar lead, the lead is there but played on pipes! Also, all but
the cover have the lyrics in other than English, either the original
languace of the period song, or in the band's native German.

You can get a listen at their website http://www.inextremo.com
(replace com with de if you want the German page)

scorch