HW Xmas Party @ The Astoria - *FIRST REPORT*

Nick Medford nick at HERMIT0.DEMON.CO.UK
Sat Dec 30 08:42:54 EST 2000

In message <l03102800b672d3172f99@[195.102.200.9]>, Melvyn Vincent
<mel at MVA.U-NET.COM> writes
>Well it's not often I get a first at something,but here goes.......
>
>I've just arrived back at my studio after witnessing one of the best gigs
>HW have done over recent years. In fact...this was the fully polished
>version of what the Hawkestra  @ Brixton probably should have been
>(although Lemmy,Nik Turner,Dikmik etc were not present at the Astoria).
>Don't get me wrong........Brixton was a night I'll never forget, but I
>think Dave Brock took on board some of his own misgivings & fans criticisms
>of some elements of Brixton,......and assembled a show that was well
>organised allowing ample contributions by special guests....BUT.....BEST OF
>ALL........THE SOUND!!!!!
>The sound was great...clear and well balanced. I could actually clearly
>hear everone that was playing on stage at any given time. Full marks to the
>engineers whoever they were!
>The whole show was obviously being recorded and I can't wait to get the album!
>
>The surprise of the night for me was hearing what Hawkwind sounds like with
>a saxophonist/flute player who can REALLY PLAY.........(sorry nik).
>Didn't catch the guys name though.

Yup, I'd go along with all that. The sax player was brilliant- 'Angels Of
Death' was given a whole new lease of life, and his snakecharmer-style
clarinet during Hassan/Palestine finally gave that section the extra
dimension it's lacked before. Dave did say his name but I missed it.

>DOWNERS?
>The support acts

Have to agree, you must've missed Morphonic who played unremarkable
trance-techno, too light and frothy to be really compelling. Spacehead:  I
didn't enjoy them, leave it at that, don't want to upset their friends and
admirers on the list. Simon House was a big disappointment (although he
briefly took off on the 'Damnation Alley' section).

Tim Blake I actually enjoyed, much to my surprise as I've never liked his
solo stuff, but he played one long digi-dub piece ('Tribulation' or something
like that) that blew me away. Rest of the set was variable but overall good
enough to sustain interest.

But why, why have 4 support acts when at the end of the night the Hawks
run out of time and we don't get an encore?? Anyone know what they would
have played? I saw Ron down at the front explaining the situation to some
fans but couldn't catch what he was saying. Not having an encore was
strange- no cathartic release, made me realise how ritualistic gigs are
(especially Hawkwind gigs)- it just felt incomplete and wrong.

None of which alters the fact that this was a bloody brilliant performance:
don't think I've ever seen the band so loud, heavy and intense. Everyone
played a blinder- how often can one say that? Particular highlights:

Damage Of Life: yeesss! Finally I hear one of my favourite Brock songs live.
Absolutely superb, hypnotic rhythm throughout, great electronics on the
closing section.

Flying Doctor: never really liked this track before but it blows the roof off
live. Brilliant vocals from Ron. I have gradually come to like Ron's presence
more and more and last night confirmed his worth to the band IMO.

Sonic Attack: With Mike Moorcock reciting it down the phone from Texas
it came together extraordinarily well. The disembodied screeching sounded
truly eerie. This track can go either way live, but this was unquestionably
the best I've ever heard it. The bass throb which shook the whole building
was amazing. Sonic attack indeed.

Hurry On Sundown: What can you say? After the joy of hearing it at
Brixton, this was even better: an utterly invincible blasting blanga version,
biggest cheer of the night.

I could be wrong but I got the feeling there was less pre-programmed stuff
than of late. With both Harvey and Keith on hand, Dave played more
guitar and the whole thing had a more live sound. Once again one has to
acknowledge the all-conquering Davey/Chadwick rhythm section: don't let
Alan slip away again Dave! He's too valuable!

And finally...

While I was standing at the food hatch waiting to be served, a bloke asked
me to pass the salt. I did so, he poured it over his chips and then walked
off. Only then did I realise I had in fact passed him the sugar. If you're out
there, my apologies!

--
Nick Medford