BOC: Compilation Madness

Robert C. Mayo RMayo19761 at AOL.COM
Wed Feb 2 19:11:34 EST 2000

In a message dated 2/2/00 3:05:06 PM Eastern Standard Time, js3619 at WIZVAX.NET
writes:

<< For me, the proliferation of best of CDs makes me wonder how much control
 BOC actually has over the publishing of its back catalog. the Oyster boys
 (hopefully) are aware of how many compilations are floating in the dreck of
 the CD seas and I'd hope they'd have more common sense than rehashing under
 numerous repackagings. >>

there is a few albums' worth of unreleased Cheap Trick stuff gathering dust,
according to their 'official' bio; i emailed Tom Peterson at the CT website
(he really does answer!) about when we might see some of this stuff, and his
reply was:

'when sony wants to put it out. they own the rights to all that stuff.'

i doubt very much that BOC has ANY control over what their previous labels
release. this could all come down to whatever deal they signed w/cbs way back
when; not ever knowing (perhaps) that they would be as successful as they
have been and still an 'ongoing concern' now. i'm sure they get their
publishing royalties for all of the back catalog re-hash, but no say in what
cbs does or does not do.
rmayo