HW: Hawkwind in New Zealand

Arin Komins akomins at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU
Thu Feb 17 15:15:20 EST 2000

On Thu, 17 Feb 2000, K Henderson wrote:

:Subject: Re: HW: Hawkwind in New Zealand
:
:RJ said...
:
:>That's the thing about freedom.  One group thinks they should be free to
:>DO it.   Another thinks they should be free OF it.
:>
:>I say let the proprietors decide, and if the customers don't like it they
:>can go to another place~
:
:Well, that's all fine and dandy for your local pubs and such, but that
:doesn't really apply for concert halls.  It's not like you have a choice on
:where to see a band travelling across the country...they're only likely to
:be in your city once, if at all!  And most clubs/halls (outside of CA
:anyway) do allow smoking, and so unless the band itself demands a smoke-free
:hall (and I don't think there are many who do), it simply doesn't happen.
:Personally, I've learned to tolerate it, and actually the thing I dislike
:the most about it, is the stench my clothes emit the following morning.
:(Esp. your coat, that you might like to wear without first having to air it
:out for a week.)  As bad as it is for your lungs, the awful smell of clothes
:and furniture is really the most hideous thing about the habit.  (Other than
:the early death.)  :)  I know the smoker him/herself becomes oblivious to
:the smell (I worked in a chemical plant for awhile, and so I know how that
:works), but how a non-smoker can live around heavy smokers I can't imagine.
:

Not very well :(

I have the particular misfortune of being terribly allergic
to many things in their smoked form (cigarettes, cloves, marijuana, etc.)

Hard when I'm at Hawkwind concerts ;)

I tend to carry asthma stuff and have some emergency antihistamines when
I go.

I've only ever had to leave a concert once due to allergic attack.

so have some pity on us allergic folks :)

Arin
(who frequently wishes that people would use other methods to imbibe their
drugs of choice ;) )
Arin Komins                            akomins at midway.uchicago.edu
Web Systems Administrator
University of Chicago/NSIT                      tel: (773)834-4087
1155 E. 60th St. #305A Chicago, IL 60637        fax: (773)702-0559