OFF: smoking etc.

Dave Berry daveb at TARDIS.ED.AC.UK
Tue Feb 22 16:34:23 EST 2000

At 10:25 21/02/00 , M Holmes wrote:
>Robert C. Mayo writes:
>
>> does smoking pot carry the same health risks as smoking cigarettes?
>> cancer/lung-heart disease/emphesema/etc etc...? let's forget the
>> supposed 'positives' for the moment--surely inhaling the smoke of
>> anything burning has it's dangers...?
>
>Odds are it's not good for folks to inhale hot smoke of anything.
>However, when it's been looked into, and it has a few times, the
>evidence of long term health effects comparable with tobacco just isn't
>there.

Strange -- the reports I've seen (in The Guardian), indicate that smoking pot mixed with tobacco is more dangerous than tobacco alone.  They carried a report in the last couple of weeks that indicated that people who smoke 1 joint a day are twice as likely to die of smoking related diseases than people who don't smoke.  Which sounds plausible to me.  (The article listed the relevant diseases, but I don't remember what they were.  Try searching www.newsunlimited.co.uk).

Dave.
Dave Berry,  www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~daveb