Star Nation pullout

Sara Zaza prabbit at GOWEBWAY.COM
Thu Jul 13 14:57:49 EDT 2000

Grakkl wrote:

<Well, without trying to sound so negative - as nice as it would be to see
<what Harvey's been up to, I can't see as though this tour is going to do
<much of anything wonderful for 'space rock.'  In fact, it could very well
<hurt things, if a seemingly 'half-assed' attempt at keeping it on is
chosen.

I can certainly understand these feelings.  It's an extremely disappointing
turn of events. Still, I think it's pretty important for people that choose
to view the "space rock" scene as a kind of community, to try and support it
as much as we can for the long term good of the scene.  When things like
this happen, it can set the whole scene back if we don't continue to support
it through good and bad times.  I heard the clips at
http://www.aural-innovations.com/radio/radio.html and Harvey sounds great,
it reminded me of some of the furthest out elements of the German bands on
Pyramid that were reissued on CD by Psi-fi a few years ago like Cosmic
Corridors, Nazgul, Galactic Explorers, etc.  Perhaps if some of these gigs
are booked at larger venues than the one nearest to meself (Khyber in
Phila., holds 225) though, it may be wise to cancel these shows rather than
have the place 1/10 full or whatever.

<I would argue that Jim should probably bag the whole thing, and just
<concentrate on quickly getting a 'headlining' quality act to put on
Saturday
<evening at SD2000.  Who though?

What is the current status of Cul De Sac?  Or maybe F/i could do it.

<Oh, well, I always have a great time at SD, and I'm one that doesn't much
<care how big the names are.  But I recognize that Jim can't be successful
<without them.

I've attended all of them and always had a great time as well, but I admit I
was a little alarmed by last year's low turnout.  The worst thing about it
was that when Nik came on, all of a sudden all these people appeared from
out of the woods/campsite and things finally looked like a festival.  When
most of the other bands were playing, however, there were maybe 30-50 people
milling around.  That's why I hope that people will support the tour this
year in spite of the obvious disappointment we all feel.

John Stanton