reccomendations?

bart bart at AEOLIANS.BT.CO.UK
Thu Jun 22 09:21:04 EDT 2000

> "John H. McCartney" wrote:
>
> > I'd appreciate if someone could give me some reccomendations on what
> > to pickup from the following bands. Some I'm heard tracks by on various
> > 'tribute' albums, others I've just heard about over the years.

> > Controlled Bleeding
>
> Listen before you buy.  A record store that knows my tastes recommended two
>
> Controlled Bleeding CDs to me.  One I rather liked.  The other was a total
> turn-off.
> Really sounded like two different bands, so try before you buy.

Defintely. Some stuff like Glass on Wire is ambient/industrial, but other
albums are more straightforward gtr based rock (wel, loosely). For a bit of
each, try _Songs from the Drain_

> > Coil
>
> _Music From Hellraiser_ (or some such title, is it _Unreleased Music From
> Hellraiser_?  At any rate the story is the movie studio found this music
> *too*
> frightening to use in the movie.)

Yeah, steady with this. In fact its all a bit of a piss take by Mr Balance &
Mr Barker. On the back of the EP there's a quote by Clive Barker to the effect
of "so scary it made my bowels churn". In reality though, the material is very
light indeed, the usual ambient synth tinkerings. I believe the more classic
Coil sound can be found on releases such as _Horse Rotovator_ or _Scatology_
but I don't have any more of their work.

> > Swans

I have one of thier discs somewhere Holy Money/Greed, but its hard work.

For the more darkwave bands you mentioned, have you tried the _Narcosis_ 2CD
compilation ?

As for Nurse With Wound / Throbbing Gristle people, Chris & Cosey have done
some quite excellent ambient stuff in recent years, the CTI / Library of Sound
series for starters.

Whilst we're fishin for reccommendations in this area, anybody want to
enlighten me on the following ?

In the Nursery
Current 93

Tim