HW: Radio Days, etc

Tim Gadd lupercal at GEOCITIES.COM
Wed Mar 8 14:51:29 EST 2000

At 05:50 AM 3/9/00 +1100, Tim Gadd wrote:
 Another of my big regrets. If those things ever turn up on a
>bootleg I might shoot myself. Are these the demos from Gloriana/Entropy
>Tango, you're talking about? God, I hated myself for that.

Just in case you took that the wrong way, that wasn't meant to imply that I
thought _you_ would bootleg them; just that I have no idea how many copies
were distributed of it once it left my hands. In fact Moorcock had sent them
to me for possible inclusion in a radio special I was going to produce about
his music, so I suppose he had no qualms about people actually getting to
hear that stuff; it's just that I never asked him at the time if I could run
off a copy for someone, and without that permission, I shouldn;t have done.
The show ended up not happening, because just after the tapes arrived I
ended up breaking off with the station I was with, and taking a 3 to 4 year
break from radio (for the record, Zooks! resumed in 86, and continued from
then up till last year.) Nik Turner also sent me some stuff for a program
around that time, which also didn't get made, for the same reasons, and
which I also felt shitty about. (in fact there were possibly other reasons
why that one might have been hard to produce anyway. Imagine, if you will, a
90 minute tape made by Nik, on this premise:

"I started off like it's my radio show and I'm interviewing you, with me as
me and then as your alter ego Tim Zooks, and interviewing myself in the form
of my saxaphone."

This was not the sort of thing you could conviently edit around pieces of
music :) And I wasn't entirely sure what to do with my part of the thing,
when according to Nik I was crawling around on the ceiling most of the time.
That's if it was me he was talking about. I couldn't really figure it out.
Maybe one day I should just set it running and improvise along to it :/

Brock sent me a tape - this was all around the same time, but I feel a bit
less bad about not using that, since an interview recorded on a portable
cassette player, in a car, whilst overtaking lorries on the way to a gig,
was of a sound quality such that even I thought it was too rough to air.
Plus he said something entirely unbroadcastable about Paul Rudolph on it :)

The one thing which I did get done before all of this happened, was the Bob
Calvert special. Personally I can't bear to listen to my godawful 18 or 19
year-old voice prattling on, so I haven't listened to it in a decade or
more, but I'm just glad I managed to get done what I suppose might have been
the only major-length audio  documentary about Calvert done in his lifetime.
I'm sure he must have been horribly disappointed with it when he heard it;
probably had imagined I was some sort of professional rather than an
audacious teenager with access to a couple of old Revox's.

Sorry, don't know where that all spilled out from.
--
Tim Gadd
Hobart, Tasmania